Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Redding Trail Shoot/ NFAA Championships 2016.

Good morning, it is Tuesday.

Hansen and I just got back from an extended weekend trip to the Western Classic Trail Shoot in Redding CA. It was also the NFAA Marked 3D National Championships. The weather was not the usual weather, but the result was just fine. Hansen is your YAMBHFS National Champion! Way to shoot Hansen! Now for some pics:
There were over 1500 shooters this year. The weather forecast may have frightened a few away, it almost did me. I considered trading my bow for a umbrella, but I didn't.
It flat poured rain for the last couple of hours of day one. My umbrella and rain jacket were a mile away in the car. I've learned that it is very hard to forecast weather in Redding.
How about a selfie with the archery god on target 10? Absolutely!
Hansen and Braden have been friends for a long time and we had a great time shooting with him. Braden finished 2nd in the YAMFS division which was very impressive indeed! If you look at the two bows in the picture, you can see the difference in divisions. Hansen has short stabilizers, no lens, and a max 5 pin sight that don't adjust for yardage. Braden's bow can have anything from long stabilizers, lenses in the sight and peep, and a sight that has unlimited movement for yardages. While Hansen loves shooting freestyle, the targets in Redding are nearly impossible for him to see (colorblind probs) and a lens, while magnifying the targets for the normal visioned, make them all but disappear for Hansen. But Hansen is good with math and gaps and all archery, so the BHFS class suits him well.
Usually there are 20 arrows in each target by the time shooters are done, I took a pic of this after the others were pulled as it is like the best results of my life! Both arrows perfect, in fact the one on the right has a broken nock from the other arrow hitting it. The last I'll say on colorblindness is that those who are [colorblind] can't tell that there is even an orange dot on this animal. What shows up plain as day for many, is invisible to Hansen. His results are even more impressive knowing that.
64 yard bear! Most folks aimed at the two others to the right of the photo.
If you're curious, the pic above is a map and the targets along with marked distances. We shot 25 targets the first and second day, and 20 the last day. We started on target 26 this year and shot with a great group.
I enjoy the big signs by the manufactures. Of course they are also backstops for errant arrows. Rumor has it that an archer was saved by the cellphone in his pocket from an errant arrow this shoot.
Shorter yardages have smaller targets.
If you made it this far into this blog post, you've made it to my favorite series of photos. OK, so I'm taking this picture of Braden and Hansen and I turn to the left and who is on the adjacent target?
Jesse Broadwater! Yup, arguably the best in the sport is just yards away. How cool is that! Very cool for a fan like myself. Truth be told, I considered not shooting just so I could follow Jesse and the greats around the course as a spectator.
A couple hours later and we are now on the same exact target that Jesse Broadwater was on in the above photo. See my bow at Braden's feet, yeah we were all fighting for spot that Jesse shot from. Kind of. It was very fun.
How about a photo of all the people from Washington State who showed up for the picture! Hansen and I are kind of in the middle/right.
Hansen with his champion's plaque. He will also receive a belt buckle from the NFAA for his national title. Way to go kiddo!

Of course, while we were gone Mothers Day was celebrated. Happy Mothers Day to my mom, Maren, Carol, Mel, Amber and all the other moms out there!

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Wow, congratulations Hansen! And he's even getting a belt buckle for the metal scanners to beep at! Thanks for the Mother's Day wishes, and happy mother's day to all the moms you mentioned!