Sunday, May 01, 2016

Breakeveners!

Good morning, it is Sunday.

Friday night Maren and I took advantage of free tickets given to my high school to attend horse racing at Emerald Downs. Honestly, I've never been to Emerald Downs, so I was kind of excited to check it out. First impressions, the place is huge! The general parking must have been half a mile from the ticket gates.
The weather was nice so we just wandered to the first place we saw to sit. This is on the ground floor in front of the finish line. There are a couple different levels to hang out, and the upper floor is enclosed for those rainy days.
I started with a couple of long shot horses to show. I chose them just because I liked the names and they were long shots. Well, like many long shots, neither of these horses showed and there was a quick $7.00 down the shoot. I was a little worried when JUST RUN AWAY tried to do just that when loading into the starting gate. I personally thought the jockey was pretty darn brave to get back on that horse after its defiance.
For race 4 I decided to just choose the favorite to win. And another great name for a race horse.
I even wandered over to the show circle (or whatever its called) where the horses walk around and you can see them. The jockey on this horse was definitely a crowd favorite too.
As the horses wander to the far side of the track to their starting gate, you can see Mount Rainier in the distance.
 And they're off! CANTCATCHME (all the names were all caps?) is of to an early lead. CANTCATCHME is rounding the corner. CANTCATCHME wins the race!
I even wandered over to the winner's circle to see the family and friends greet the winning horse! And thanks to betting on the favorite, I recouped my earlier lost monies and Maren and I went home as nearly breakeveners! Wohoo!

See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Wow, way to go betting-wise! It looks like Emerald Downs is a good place to view the late afternoon sky - and some cool horses.