Sunday, February 23, 2014

It was hilly, and I ate chili.

Good evening, it is Sunday.

Today I rode the Chilly Hilly with a couple of friends.  The Chilly Hilly has been kicking off the bicycling season in the Pacific NW for the last 42 years!  This was the 3rd time I've ridden it.  True to its name, it was chilly, and it was hilly.  Basically you take the Bainbridge ferry from Seattle to Banbridge Island, ride around the very hilly island, stop for chilly, then ride back.  This year didn't seem quite as crowded as the last couple of years, but it was still very crowded none the less.
Roger and Barry were dressed for the weather for sure.  It never got too cold, my phone put it at about 40 degrees the entire day.  Earlier in the week we were worried about snow being an issue.
I just love how the ferry looks when it is taken over by bicycles.  My bike was in the ground in the top right of this picture.  Folks just leave their bikes sprawled out and then go in the cabin for a warm relaxing ferry ride.
Barry and I in the ferry.  I don't know why I didn't take any pictures of the views.  The view of downtown Seattle from the Bainbridge ferry is one of the coolest views there is.  On the ride there were some very cool views as well.
The long steep uphills are really not my friend.  I stopped for a breather on this hill.  Still toward the beginingish of the ride, the riders had not spaced out too much just yet.  Of course, with upwards of 4000+ riders, there are always riders around.  I also stopped for a bowl of chili at about mile 15, and again at the end of the ride.
We met up at our house for the ride.  Roger has the coolest little car, and the way he transports is bike is to trailer it behind the car.  How cool is that?  Mine and Barry's bikes are still on the back of his truck in this picture.  All right, another great ride in the books.

See you tomorrow.


2 comments:

Bella said...

Hi dear friends.. Please kindly visit www.dubaihotelsholiday.com get the special rates with the best deal...

Ellen said...

Wow! Cool race, great pictures, and very cool little car!