Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston. And skating.

Good evening, it is Tuesday.

What a weekend of highs and lows!  Saturday we had a very fun skating party for Annie and Stef's birthdays!  Sunday I sat in front of the TV and watched one of the most exciting Masters tournaments (or any golf tournament) as I have seen in the past few years.  Adam Scott won in dramatic fashion and I couldn't be happier for him and for golf.  Then Monday came and I read in disbelief the horror of the bombs at the Boston Marathon.  Social media and the news outlets have been Boston nonstop.  As well they should be.  A mini-write up that I appreciate is by a comedian Patton Oswald:

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, “Well, I’ve had it with humanity.”

But I was wrong. I don’t know what’s going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, “The good outnumber you, and we always will.”

Patton Oswalt


The stories coming out are not getting any better.  Except for all the helpers.  Without all the helpers, it would be far worse for sure.  I've read on Facebook and in blogs that family and friends we do have in the Boston area are all O.K.  Our prayers are with Boston and those who were in harms way.

Now some pictures from Saturday's skating party:
 Stef and Annie at their birthday parties.  You won't catch me dressing like this, but good for them! Happy 8th birthday!  LOL.  Actually, I did have on awesome tan rental skates too...
 Lillie brought her own roller blades.  She is in the pink shirt cruising in her age race!  Way to Go Lillie!  Preston and I got out and raced too.  I was pretty darn fast if I do say so myself.
 Lillie and Hansen skating away.
And a blur of Preston cruising the hardwood.  You see all types at skating rinks these days.  From the cool cats who dance and jive to every song, to those in too much spandex spinning and twirling.  We hadn't been to the skating rink for a long time, may have to visit a bit more frequently.

See you tomorrow.    

1 comment:

carol said...

"First responders + ordinary citizens - ran to help people on Boylston Street instead of running away to save themselves. People spoke of it at the Memorial service here today, attended by President Obama."

Carol Miller
see blog, The Gothamist