Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Cat Poop is Listening?

Good evening, it is Thursday.

Yes, school and work has been keeping us very busy, but check out what I received in the mail the other day:
 Yup, it is the latest edition of my blog book.  Maren has printed off a book from Julian's Early Morning Blog each year.  This year was no different.  Lillie loves to look through the old blog posts...it has turned out to be a great scrap book.

Now on to school.  One class I enjoy teaching is math intervention, I get to teach 5th and 6th grade algebra.  I teach stuff like PEMDAS and order of operations.  Must also remember to go from left to right.  But when Preston was swamped with homework the other day I offered to help him out by doing a math problem or two for him.  Yeah right!  As if!  Whatever!  I can't help the kid.  He showed me the easy problems he had for his Pre-Calc U of W class.  They are the easy ones because most are word problems that are a page long with lots of questions.
 Here are just a few of the problems he had to simplify.  Preston actually showed me a few tricks with exponents and such that helped, but not much.  And the crazy thing...Preston loves this stuff and thinks he may want to be a math major when he gets to college!

Check out these socks I won!  Yes, I won these socks in a raffle drawing at a Body Works class that Maren, Lillie, Hansen, and I have started to take.  It will be held weekly for eight weeks and will help us learn about healthy choices for food and exercise.  So yay!  Well, yay for Maren, Lillie and I...Hansen is not too thrilled to be going, but overall he did have fun. 
 I could have picked out some other prize like a spatula or something, but Maren whispered (kind of loudly) for me to pick the socks...socks it is.

Now for some fun!  Or not fun as the case may be.  This is a screen shot of a text message thread between Preston and I:
Yes, I did clean it up before Maren got home, I mean, who do you think I am?  Well, actually if it wasn't so freaking gross and right where we needed to walk...  I do happen to think Preston is one of the funniest kids ever, I mean, like the cat poop would really be listening to us?  Bahahah.

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Susanna Powers said...

Hi Julian, thanks for the tip about the blog books. I had a couple of them made of my blog & should do 2012 when they have some sort of sale! This is a hard-copy backup, or you could call it a very limited edition. Just think, this immortal conversation from the minds of teenagers will eventually be archived for all time! love, susanna

Amber said...

It is really cool to have the hard copies. Maybe one of these days/years I could do the same thing. But I have 675 posts. Can you choose which ones get printed? Or would I just go back on my actual blog and delete the ones I don't find as scrapbook worthy? Remind me where you get these done - maybe I'll look into it :)

Julian Slane said...

We use blog2print to make our books. So far I have done one copy per calendar year. Choose the start date, the end date, and a few other things. I keep it the same format as my blog even though it uses more pages because the pictures and the words go together. Amber, don't delete posts...they are all scrapbook worthy! You can sort it any way you want, but I don't think you can just select individual days and such, besides, that would be way too much work. And it is not like you have 675 post per year. Each year is really only 200 posts or something like that. Good Luck!