Wednesday, December 26, 2012

King Tut in Seattle!

Good evening, it is still Wednesday evening.

Today we took the family to a much anticipated event.  We went to see the King Tut exhibit at the Seattle Center.  I'm not sure the kids were as excited to see it as I was...well, I'm sure they were not as excited to see it as I was.  I tried to get them in the spirit by playing this video over and over and over again...yes, Steve Martin's King Tut:
And if this isn't good enough, how about this:
Yeah, Kayne West checking out King Tut!

The kids really did enjoy the day.  We also viewed the IMAX movie on Mummies, Secrets of the Pharaohs.  I felt like I learned a lot from watching the movie.  One thing that really stood out to me was the whole perspective of showing off the mummies.  As a kid, reading about tomb robbers and the curse of King Tut, I was always a bit freaked out to go view such an exhibit.  But the film implied that one reason the pharaoh's had for making the mummies was so that they would not ever be forgotten, and so they could have their bodies in the afterlife.  Now I don't know about the whole afterlife thing, but by viewing and showing the mummies (actually a replica of a mummy and lots of artifacts, even a box for mummy cat) it is safe to say that the pharaoh's names are still being talked about today, nearly 5,000 years later.  We purchased a book, but I didn't take a single picture...but you can't blame me, they told me I had to spit out my gum and turn my phone all the way off.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

carol said...

are you kidding about the 'spit out your gum' part ? When I was a kid, we went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston where they have the 'mummy room'. Everything the British Museum didn't get. It's still there. Indelibly etched in my mind with Boris Karloff's The Mummy. Still scary. I needed to see Steve Martin in costume on Saturday Night Live,
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/king-tut/1037261/

Julian Slane said...

Thanks for that link! Way better than mine. And yes, spit out your gum on the way in!