Monday, April 02, 2012

Ironman Poker Run

Good morning, it is Monday.

Saturday was the Desert 100 Ironman Poker Run.  This ride was in Eastern Washington, about a 3 hour drive from Courtney's house...even farther for me.  We didn't camp there like many did, so we left very early in the morning.  As in, I woke up at 2:00am and we rolled out of Court's house at 3:00am.  We showed up at the race site by 6:15 am and were riding by 7:50 am.  This ride was very grueling.  It took us 4 hours to do one 35 mile loop.  And we didn't go out for the second loop as plenty of riders did.
 This picture was taken after a long stretch as it was getting bit warm out.  I'm surprised you can't see all the steam evaporating off my head.  This pic is kind of cool because you can see all the riders coming down the hill behind me.
 This is the same rest as the last picture.  This is Courtney, my riding buddy.  Behind her is a cut off for the "family ride" to the right, and the "Ironman" to the left.  The gully then hill to the left was causing tons of crashes.  We were watching person after person crash and get stuck.  It was way more intimidating in person than in this picture.  We stuck with the Ironman...and didn't crash!  In fact I never did crash once, which was main goal for the day.  It wasn't easy and I came close a ton of times!  That doesn't mean I am not totally sore...I am.
 Court after unloading the bikes and getting ready to ride.
Pulling into the parking area.  I have never seen anything like this.  There were hundreds of motor homes, campers, and tents!  Yes, this string of motor homes and campers when for like a whole mile!  The folks doing the actual Desert 100 race the next day are amazing riders.  Our 35 mile loop was very hard and grueling for us, the winner of the 100 mile race will cover the 100 miles in less time that we ride 35 miles.  Amazing!

See you tomorrow.

No comments: