Thursday, November 04, 2010

H.O.M.E. Project.

Good morning, it is Thursday.

Last night our family volunteered at the H.O.M.E. Project through our church, but at a different church. This is a program that is designed to feed and help homeless men. Our job was to serve dinner, prepare lunch for the next day, then clean up. I was about an hour gig. We had talked about it last year, but never actually did it...this year we signed up. Preston was a bit bummed at first because it meant skipping soccer, but once we got working and helping, we were all glad to be there. Hansen, Lillie and Maren stuffed cookies and deserts while Preston and I made sandwiches. Afterwards we were the buffet line serving a great dinner. I cut and served turkey, Lillie and Maren served mashed potatoes and stuffing, Hansen served desserts, and Preston was the drink guy. There were probably 25 guys being served. We left feeling like we had done some good in the world, and while we don't always feel like we have very much, we actually have tons to be thankful for. Here are a couple of pics:

I didn't take but a couple of pictures as we were working the whole time and I had slimy gloves on the whole time as I was cutting and serving turkey.
This is Hansen working away!

Preston will be volunteering with his youth group on Friday...he will not only be the expert, he will be cooking brownies!

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Grandpa and Bernice said...

Kudos to you all - we're proud of what you did feeding those men. It's a time to be thankful for what we have!!!

jerisenger said...

I knew your church was doing the food so should have guessed that the Slane family would be there. That is my church and we had a Trustee meeting last night and I probably walked by you as I was leaving. It is a great program and is well supported by many. Jeri

Ellen said...

What a great thing to do.