Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lillie's tooth trauma.

Good morning, it is Wednesday.

Yesterday turned into one of those days you really don't want as a parent. I got a call around 12:45 at work (2nd grade math) from the nurse at Lillie's school. She said Lillie was ok, but during recess she ran into the monkey bars with her face and her mouth was all bloody and one of her permanent front teeth was very loose. I called the dentist who said to bring her in, so I left work and went to get the munchkin. The moment I saw Lillie I knew it was worse than the nurse had made it out to be...the nurse didn't know that Lillie's front two teeth were exactly the same length before the accident.

20 minutes later we were at our regular dentist's office in Fairwood. After an x-ray we realized that the teeth were not broken, but couldn't tell if one was pushed in or one way out...he didn't have the equipment to properly sedate Lillie, so he set us up with another dentist.

20 minutes later we were at a second dentist office. This dentist office is a special kids dentist who also specializes in trauma. After more x-rays and prodding, it was decided that one front tooth was chipped, the other knocked so far out of position that it needed to be braced back into place with the hope that it will reset itself.

Lillie was an excellent patient. Laughing gas helped her cause and a couple of hours later she had braces on her top front row of teeth so the neighbor teeth can just hold the falling out tooth in place. The doctor was quite happy with the condition of Lillie's lips. At first we thought she would also need several stitched to put her lips back together, but it turned out not to be the case, they should heal up on their own just fine.

We got home just in time for dinner. Lillie had mashed potatoes and a milk shake for dinner and even though she was not feeling very well, she wanted to go on with our plans of dying Easter eggs. She even cleaned up the art table to make sure we couldn't change our minds.

So last night, we dyed Easter eggs. We have 18 very fancy eggs! Here is a picture of the kids as they were starting to dye eggs. I will spare you from any up close pictures of Lillie's mouth. But when her lips heal up in a week or so, I will be sure to get some picture of her with her temporary braces. She may think they are pretty cool once the pain and swelling go down.

Today I am staying home from work to hang out with Lillie. Tomorrow she should be ready to go back to school. No gym or recess for a couple of weeks says the doctor, I guess if she re-injures the tooth in the next couple of weeks it will have a very little chance of healing itself. No gym or recess for two weeks may be tougher on Lillie than the events of yesterday!

See you tomorrow.


sussah said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this accident. That must have hurt terribly. Get well, Lillie! LOVE, aunt susanna and uncle johnny

Grandpa and Bernice said...

Oh Lillie, we feel so bad that you had such a terrible accident. It sounds like you had great dentists who fixed you up and hopefully it will heal well. Feel better - we love you. Zadie & Bubby Bernice