Monday, June 22, 2009

I completed all 100 miles of the LiveSTRONG Challenge!

Good morning, it is Monday.

Yesterday was the LiveSTRONG Challenge. It finally came, and I am thrilled to report that I did make it the whole 100 miles! Not really sure how as I was spent at 50 miles, but just kept on going. Amber and Aurora where there as well as they had plenty of stuff to do like ride in the special persons pedi-cabs for the 5-K walk, hang out with other LAF staff, working when Aurora napped in the stroller, check out the Children's museum, and wait for me to finish. The picture below is taken by me of the folks in front of me at the starting line, the line back was even longer.
My ride was not uneventful at times, but mostly very long and hard. There were great check points about every 15 miles and I had a half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at each one, as well as refilling my two water bottles with Gatorade. I made it up the first big hill (and when I say big, I mean very steep and very long) at about 40 miles into the race no trouble and kept on pedaling. The next big hill was at about 70 miles, this one worse than the first. I had no shame in walking most of the hill. This is where my tennis shoes where handy (I had lots of comments from other bikers about my tennis shoes, i may have been the only 100 miler not wearing biking shoes with clip-in pedals). At what looked like the top of the second hill a guy dressed like the devil was cheering people on telling them, "just 25 more meters to the summit!", only you turned the corner and the hill just kept going, lots of cursing the devil! Then just after the 70 mile rest stop it started to thunder, lightning, rain and hail very hard. I got a thin plastic poncho from a volunteer and was very thankful. 20 miles later I had a flat front tire. I had a spare tube in my gear and a volunteer with a pump helped me out. Then the sun came back out and I only had 10 miles left, so I kept on going. Here is the picture of my odometer, 7 hours and 40 minutes riding my bike, just over 100 miles (my odometer may be a percent off), an the time was 4:00 pm when I finished, we started at 7:00 am, I must have spent 1 hour and 20 minutes at rest stops and fixing my flat tire.
Here is me after the finish. Amber took more pictures with her camera, so we will have to check her blog in a few days. Today she is with Mel and the twins, then flying home tonight. We had a very nice visit with Amber and Aurora, glad they were able to come out.
Who know if I will every try for a century (100 miles) again, but I am sure glad to say I have done it.

Thanks to everyone who supported my ride, we raised a lot of money for the LAF to help support folks going through and living with cancer.

See you tomorrow.

6 comments:

Jeri said...

Congratulations Julain! I thought of you yesterday and knew you were peddling away for the better part of the day. I am not surprised you went the whole 100 miles. You do not give yourself enough credit. Do you know the percentage of people that finished the race? I am very proud of your efforts of a good cause. Jeri

sussah said...

Congratulations on your endurance. You did great, Love, susanna

Grandma and Grandpa Slane said...

Congratulations, Julian! Good work for a good cause! Also, the card arrived today and is very cute.

Grandpa and Bernice said...

What an accomplishment - congratulations Julian, and for such a good cause. Nice that Amber and Aurora were there to cheer you on. Good for you...and a belated Happy Father's Day.

Melanie Ostergard said...

Congratulations Julian. I'm so proud of you for riding the entire 100 miles. I'd have been proud if you'd completed the 40 mile route, too!!

Julian's Blog said...

Thanks everyone!