Friday, April 03, 2009

Bad weather tangent.

Good morning, it is Friday.

Part of me can't believe Friday is already here, but part of me can't believe this week has taken so long. Fit a full week of full days of school in between conference half days and spring break and you get a bunch of kids bouncing off the walls. Both the school walls and the walls at our house. After today is spring break, and we are hoping that spring decides to break through. The forecast shows that once we make it though today, we will be more likely to see sun than snow...first time in like six months. After this past fall/winter/spring, you will never have to explain to me why folks leave the PNW to move to warmer sunnier climates, I get it. I was walking around Lake Morton while Lillie was in dance class the other day in the rain, cold and drab. I was not even phased, not even a hit of sheltering myself from the rain, cold and drab. No umbrella, nothing. After about 30 minutes I realized I was having fun and wanted to keep going, that was when I realized I could really use the sun shine again.

There was some movie we watched in grade school (not long after moving up here from Florida) about a school of kids on a different planet or something where the sun would only shine one day every 7 years. Then the only kid who had every seen the sun kept talking about the sun and stuff and being annoying to the point that everyone else locked her in a closet the hour the sun came out. The rest of the kids played and had fun in the sun and forgot about her in the closet. I think us students were supposed to take away some lesson about bullying or something, I just remember thinking that showing this movie in the PNW was counter productive because if the rain bothers you, you are in the wrong place. Maren just told me that is actually a famous short science fiction story called All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury. Do all Librarians know everything, or just Maren? That was actually a relief because from time to time over the last 30 years I have wondered if I even saw that movie or it was just a bad dream from being in the rain so much.

That was a weird tangent. Sorry. Sorry to myself on that one. Time to go watch some Spongebob Squarepants and get some reality in my system.

Today Lillie has soccer, Hansen's team is skipping practice to go watch the Kentwood high school team take on the Kentlake soccer team. I just don't see how goofing off in the stands of a high school soccer game is more valuable than actual soccer practice for 7-9 year olds trying to learn soccer, but it will be fun and I am glad to be going.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: