Monday, December 29, 2008

Goodbye gleaning.

Good morning, it is Monday.

Maren is off to work today. We have so much slop and slush in our culd-e-sac that her car could hardly get out of the driveway. All the main roads are just fine, but the back roads that never saw a snow plow are still bad.

Being snowed in as we have been, I don't think Maren minded going into work at the least. We have not gotten to do many things we would do this time of year, such as going to Zoo Lights, spending a day downtown, or even just driving around looking at Christmas Lights in some of the fancier neighborhoods around the area. Quite frankly we are all on each others nerves just a bit...actually, it is more parents vs. kids these days. Preston and Hansen think they should be able to do what they want, when they want as it is vacation. Why not just become a nocturnal human while on vacation? Why not play Nintendo all day? Why not stay up all night? Why not sulk around the house because there is nothing to do? Why not just drive your parents batty? We all need this sloppy snow to melt so we can kick the kids outside! Hansen and I have been taking some refuge in the garage. Hansen rides his skateboard, I fiddle with bicycles. I took my cheap mt. bike apart, will paint the frame and fork, then put it back together as a single speed. When done, it will be perfect for parking in the rain all day long at school. I don't really like parking my good bicycle in the rain all day. This cheap mt. bike was one that I found at a garage sale for $10.00 last summer.

Sunday was our last gleaner day. Maren and I (mostly Maren, but I filled in plenty) have been part of a local food bank gleaner organization. We used to do a pick up every Saturday, but when our Saturday pick up fizzled toward the end of the summer, we were switched to a Sunday pick up. Sunday has never really worked for our family as it interferes with church...so it became gleaning vs. church. When I got my new job, it just made sense to quit the gleaners. All this snow has done wonders to the ordering and bread making at the local stores. Yesterday I did the run (too much snow for Maren's car) and had 3 shopping carts full of bread. The picture below is my van totally overstuffed with 150 loaves of day old bread, 150 lbs of produce, and about 20 pastries to bring the the gleaners. I know Maren will miss the gleaners a bit, but it is nice to have one less thing on the to do list.


See you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Grandma Slane said...

Wow, that's a lot of bread!