Thursday, May 08, 2008

Canceling the day, subsituting key words in books.

Good Morning, it is Thursday.

Last night Hansen was up puking again! Hansen is the world's worst puker. That kid looses all control of himself. I really thought he was better, he was fine all day yesterday and went a whole day without even acting sick. Just to be on the safe side, I covered his bed and pillow with towels, covered the floor with towels, and put two puke bowls near him for easy access. Once he started puking, he could not be bothered by grabbing a puke bowl, nor could he stay put but rather sat up and puked all over the non covered place. When I came in I expected to see him puking in his bowl or at least on his towel...But No! All the planning for nothing. I only document this so Hansen believes me that he was the worst puker ever when he is older and does not believe me. The next topic has the word Turd in it...sorry in advance. If you are already feeling queasy from this paragraph, you may want to take a break and come back later.

Ok, you were warned. This is a much more fun topic. Substituting a key word in a perfectly good book that completely changes the book. Well, we do do this (we means me and the kids, I don't know that my Librarian wife would ever, ever approve of this message) every now and then and it makes young children laugh and roll on the floor, so I say it is all good. Here is an example from just last night. We were reading Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy last night as a bed time story. We decided that every time the word "Puppy" or "Dog" came along, we would substitute it with the word "Turd" [you already know about kids and words like Turd and Turd nugget from previous postings]. Now I am not saying that Puppies or dogs are turds, it is just for the story. Here are a few examples. The story usually reads (as the family is looking for a family dog in books), ""What about one of these dogs?" I shake my head. Too big. Too brown. Too plain." Yup, you guessed it, when the word "dog" is changed to the word "Turd", the kids go nutty. Even a simple sentence toward the end of the book after they have found a dog, "Frenchy is the perfect dog for us."...change "dog" to "turd" and kids prone to fall on the floor laughing. Fun times, fun times.

Today was going to be a very busy day. I was going to be on a parent panel for the orientation of incoming Hi Cap kids and parents to answer questions and brag about Preston and the Hi Cap program. Well, with Hansen being sick I had to cancel. I am sure the show will go on just fine without me...and after the previous two paragraphs, they probably don't actually want me at all.

Here is a link to page of another mom's blog who was at the Math Olympiad and took a couple of very nice pictures that have Preston in them. Her son Nick is also a Black Belt in Hansen's Taekwondo class. There are some pretty amazing kids in the Covington area, if other cities have kids like Covington does, the world will be in good hands forty years down the road. http://bitmob.blogspot.com/2008/05/cowboy-boots-and-square-roots.html

See you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Preston is a full head taller than those boys - are they all the same age?

Julian's Blog said...

Yup, Those boys are also 5th graders. Preston is quite a bit taller than most other 11 year olds. Hansen and Lillie are every bit as tall for their ages as well. Go figure.

Kelly said...

Funny post!

Hope Hansen feels better soon- might want to read him some more funny stories...laughter is the best medicine!